From:
"Dr. James Alpigini" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 11:09:57 -0400
Hello cave people!

A couple of months ago, you had collectively sent suggestions for
paleo
backpacking to me.  I am happy to report that I had a very enjoyable
trip,
walking from Harpers Ferry, West Virginia up into Pennsylvania.  Not
bad
for a not-quite-yet-40-year-old-who-flies-a-desk! :-)

I followed a modified paleo diet on this trip and found to my
amazement
that I did not suffer from gas or constipation - which is the norm
when
eating all of the dehydrated crap with grains, soy and such.  My
energy
levels were quite even as well.  Because I have no sense of smell I do
not
feel comfortable with foraging, albeit I did pause quite a bit to
consume
mass quantities of blueberries - one of the few wild foods I
recognize.

The modifications to a strict paleo diet were the addition of protein
powder, coffee and some peanut brittle.  The calories came in at 2500
3000 per day, with a weight of 1.3 pounds per day.  This was plenty
for a
short trip.

My eating regimen was as follows.

Breakfast:

  Pemmican "bar" (must eat in morning before the day's heat hits)
  Coffee (often cold)

Throughout the day:

  2 Landjaeger sausages
  2 oz beef jerky
  4 to 6 oz paleo trail mix
    dried fruit
    nuts
    coconut
    date sugar

Evening:

  Stew of the day
    ground beef
    vegetables
    olive oil
    Mrs. Dash
    salt
    pepper
    some kind of sauce
      tomato
      Mexican spices
      beef bullion with arrowroot
      etc.
  Dried fruit or peanut brittle
  Coffee

Late snack

  protein powder

One added bonus of the paleo diet is the fuel weight.  A pemmican bar
need
not be cooked, and is fine at breakfast while it is cool out.  In the
afternoon's heat it becomes mush!  To reconstitute the stew, add
water,
bring to a boil, remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes and you
have a
stew.  So, one pint of alcohol lasts a week, including coffee.

Thank you all again,

James at Penn State