From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 07:08:16 -0400
On Mon, 22 May 2000 11:49:36 -0400, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>If you ate that many nuts, the protein yield would be about 60g,
>depending on which type of nuts you ate.  I know that you are
>happy with that amount of protein, but I am not.

How much protein and kcal do you eat then?

I think if you take nuts as the main dish over the day, then
completing ones energy hunger would very easily satisfy protein wishes.
While much of the energy comes in the form of nice fats, how i'd whish
them to be.
If you ate 2400 -ok say 2600 kcal you get with (420g) almonds 75g protein.
Or with 440g sunflowers (uff) 110g protein.
I think that much sunflowers are too much for me because of very much
protein, before anything else becomes too much.

>> Anyway, heating fats shouldn't have happened at main evolutionary times.
>> Which chimp or homo erectus would roast a mongongo nut?
>
>Humans may have been roasting hunks of meat on a stick for a very
>long time.  This would certainly heat, and even overheat, some of
>the fats, including the PUFA.

I'm not shure for how long such roasting over a camp fire can be assumed.
They'd have to have had the ability of *starting* a fire. How old is this?
I think you can't really put the real fatty parts (brain, marrow)
on a stick to roast them, would they keep?
Then, most of the fat would have disappeard in the heat by melting
(where it burns in the fire, leaving cancerogenous smoke).
Hunters interested in fat would probably eat fatty parts unheated - raw.

How fatty is wild game meat anyway?
Here I have a question to Ray Audette, maybe he will read and report it:

You have reported, that your freezer is full of hawked rabbits.
Can you prepare them without adding fat?
Roasting on a stick over the fire, is it bearable?
Or do you add fat of other sources - and if, which?

regards

Amadeus