Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 09:52:17 -0800
>I, too, was on the McDougal/Ornish plans combined. I did this for
>about a year. I had serious cravings all the time. I was hungry all
>the time no matter how much I ate. I tried to combine foods for a
>complete protein, like beans and rice, etc.
>My hair got thin and I was not in a very good mood much of the time.
>I think those plans were the worst things I could have ever done to myself.
>Now, I eat mostly meat and green veggies with a speck of fruit occasionally.
>I do use a small amount of cream and an even smaller amount of cheese.
>Very little though.
>I feel better than I ever have and have some really nice muscles. I began
>weight training about a month after beginning a lowered carb eating plan. I
>was amazed to see how fast my muscle tone improved and how defined my muscles
>became. I believe it is due to the protein. I never had such results with a
>vegetarian eating plan.
>
>I used to have an aversion to meat (why I tried to be a vegetarian) but  now
>have overcome that feeling completely.

I actually missed meat when I was a vegetarian, used to occasionally
eat a bit in restaurants and feel guilty! I too had serious cravings
and hunger, which eventually led me to serious sugar bingeing, even
worse for my health. I didn't combine foods for protein, because he
was saying not to eat much protein.

Now I'm pretty much on the neanderthin plan - I eat meat, eggs,
veggies, a little fruit - no dairy, grains, etc. I feel so good and I
don't get hungry. Also don't have sugar cravings unless I eat some
and then the cravings come back.

I've been lifting some weights at home, but have become dissatisfied
with that system and am going to start working out at the gym soon. I
want to lose quite a bit of weight and lower my blood pressure.
That's the other thing - the LF vegetarian diet never lowered my BP
and it was hard to get it under control even with meds - I've noticed
that when I'm eating sugar, my BP is high even with the meds, but
when I'm off sugar it goes down quite nicely - the insulin stuff no
doubt.

Zoe