From:
Nelson Bryson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 10:17:59 -0500
>>I was breastfed.  I needed braces.  My son was breatfed.  He needed braces
>>too.

<<In "Why we get sick" the authors suggest that the reason that many people
don't have space enough for all their teeth, is that the jaws grow more if
there is a lot hard chewing during childhood. Modern food is not hard
enough to chew, so we get smaller jaws. >>

Could be, but in our case it wasn't that there wasn't enough space for the
teeth, it was bite misalignment.  All the teeth came in okay (in fact, I
had a little extra space in my upper teeth), but instead of a correct
"scissors" bite they were slightly "off."  Although this was detected when
I was a child, I didn't have orthodontics until I was in my thirties
because, as had been predicted, it was a small-scate problem that took
years to develop into something more.  That's why we took action when the
same problem was diagnosed with my son.

Interestingly, I have all my wisdom teeth -- something I've been told by
dentists and the orthodontist that they don't see very often.  Never had
any problem with them, they came in uneventfully.  On the other hand, the
x-rays taken during my son's orthodontic treatment showed that his wisdom
teeth were badly positioned so they were all removed last year when he was
16.

Lynda Bryson