NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:11:23 -0500
"Nancy Morris wrote:"

>   does pedialyte make diarrhea worse?

No, it certainly shouldn't!

> Hunter, 7 months,  was vomiting =
> (stomach flu in addition to upper resp. inf) Monday nite to late Tuesday =

Poor baby!  And poor you.  Stomach flu is my least favorite "routine" illness.

> another bit of the puzzle, possibly, is that he is on =
> omnicef, but ped thinks it is unlikely that the diarrhea is from =
> that--says some slight loosening of stool is normal or even =
> discoloration (my older son's turns orange) but not watery foul =
> diarrhea...they think it is just the end of the stomach bug....but it =
> seems there is no end in sight and I am running out of clothes and =
> desitin....your thoughts?  is pedialyte prolonging it?  thanks.

Are you using a flavored pedialyte?  If so, I'd change flavors or
try the unflavored if he will take it.  It does sound to me like it
could just be the stomach bug, or a combination of the stomach
bug and the omnicef.  Ask the doc about acidophilous?  We use a
powdered supplement made for kids that you could mix into his
pedialyte/cereal.  It might help with his normal stomach bacteria,
the absence of which can be related to the omnicef, I'd think.
Good luck!

--Robyn