NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nancy Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:04:50 -0500
  does pedialyte make diarrhea worse?  Hunter, 7 months,  was vomiting (stomach flu in addition to upper resp. inf) Monday nite to late Tuesday nite so he was on pedialyte only. wed afternoon we started formula (neocate) again, thickened w/ rice and he had a few (maybe 4 for the whole afternoon and evening) diarrhea diapers. From 7am Thursday to now he has had over 20 (yes twenty +).  I called ped yesterday afternoon when it had hit like 12 in 6 hours, and they said give pedialyte with rice cereal only--no formula--until diarrhea stops.  well its not stopping and hubby thinks maybe pedialyte is making it worse since he has no real substance except rice cereal in his body.  I have a call into GI.  this diarrhea is the same all water, very foul explosive stuff I experienced w/ Tyler for almost 6 months when we first discovered his allergies.  another bit of the puzzle, possibly, is that he is on omnicef, but ped thinks it is unlikely that the diarrhea is from that--says some slight loosening of stool is normal or even discoloration (my older son's turns orange) but not watery foul diarrhea...they think it is just the end of the stomach bug....but it seems there is no end in sight and I am running out of clothes and desitin....your thoughts?  is pedialyte prolonging it?  thanks.

  Nancy