NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 23:01:29 -0400
You need a new doctor...one that's not too lazy to crack open the PDR and
read the ingredients for a medication he's going to prescribe, and who
understands, or at least believes in allergies.  For some people, all it
takes is a trace amount (i.e. something made on equiment that also
processes dairy and is not sufficiently cleaned between runs) to get a
reaction.

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Cathy Cralle Jones wrote:

> My pediatrician just suggested that my 6 yr old daughter switch from =
> Zyrtec to Clarinex for allergies.  I asked him about whether the =
> Clarinex tablet would have any lactose.  He said he didn't know but that =
> it wouldn't be enough to make a difference.  (We're fairly new to the =
> area, so he's never seen first hand her reaction to milk exposure ... =
> throat swells, hives, asthma). =20
>
> I gave her the Clarinex and within 30 minutes she said she felt like she =
> was going to throw up.  I gave her Atarax (our normal response to milk =
> exposure) and she seemed fine within 30 minutes.  I checked the Clarinex =
> website (it does contain lactose monohydrate) and called the doc.  He =
> again said that it wasn't enough to make a difference, but that he would =
> call in a prescription for the Claritin syrup that was lactose free. =20
>
> I have trouble excepting the ... "not enough lactose to make a =
> difference" theory.  Any thoughts or similar experiences out there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cathy (Mom to Hannah, age 6)

 Jon Lewis *[log in to unmask]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |