NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 00:14:58 -0400
On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Elizabeth Lingle wrote:

> I've been reading this list for some time and must say that it is wonderful
> to hear others with the same issues...no disbeliefs, no judgments.  My 3 yo
> daughter is severely allergic to dairy (reacts with anaphylactic shock) and
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Question, though.  Anyone know of any restaurants/meals that are safe? We've
> pretty much boycotted everything until now.  However, we are planning on

For someone who reacts so severely, is anyplace really safe / worth the
risk?  Chinese food and Japanese food are often safe, but not guaranteed.
At even the slightly americanized places you can get sushi with cream
cheese or wontons with cream cheese in them.  If they're working with
dairy in some of the food, there's the possibility of cross contamination.
I've gotten burned on sushi, which I assume was the result of cross
contamination via either a knife used to cut the rolls not being
sufficiently cleaned after cutting a roll with cheese in it, or hands or
counter top after making a roll with cream cheese.

The closest thing I suspect you can find to a sure thing would be kosher
meat resturaunts...but depending on where you're going, good luck finding
them.

 Jon Lewis *[log in to unmask]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |