C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rayna Lamb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 21:52:37 +0800
Joanne,
You are absolutely right, depression isn't a moral weakness and should
never be seen as such.  My reasons for not taken medication are more
to do with the fact that I don't like the way it messes up my thought
processes and also my depression is more circumstantial than chemical,
relating more to the total lack of emotional support and validation in
my life.  To put it bluntly, I have received more acceptance, support,
friendship, and positive reactions to my personality and who I am,
from everyone on this list in the last two weeks, than I ever have in
my entire life.  Depression can in some cases be chemical, and often I
wish that it was in my case.  Unfortunately sometimes it is a result
of severe mistreatment and neglect, and this is something that can be
`cured' more by supportive human relationships.

Mind you, I still think depression is much more difficult than CP to
deal with.  But I don't regard it as a weakness in any way, just a
difficult part of the human condition.

Rayna