C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 08:19:42 -0500
Dear Joy and Rayna,

I immediately noticed the wheelchair putdown.  An aging family member
recently said, to my suggestion she get one, that she would shoot
herself before she had to use a wheelchair.  My mother had told me she
detested the fact that I had dated a number of women who used
wheelchairs.  She said she thought I was having self esteem problems.
<LoLoL>   Obviously a perceptual-social-cultural schism of huge and
discriminatory magnitude.

Why is it ok for TABS to be accommodated by cars or golf carts, for
example, and still be at least ok or seen sporting a device/symbol of
ease, value, and prestige, while a disabled person using a wheelchair
becomes further devalued: at least once for the disability, then twice
for the wheelchair?

I rather belatedly see the absurdity of striving for gain far beyond the
reasonable.  To act and appear like everyone else we put at risk our
physical and mental health to fit what is an arbitrary norm.  The norm
itself never included us in its formulation and excludes us from its
measure.  So we spend our lives trying to fit the unfit.  Then we are
denigrated and denigrate ourselves for not doing or being able to do the
impossible!  At least we occasionally make the newspapers.  (They have a
social responsibility for making insanity appear sane.)  ;-)

I quibble with Rayna's closing observation regarding the value of our
hearts, minds, and spirits compared with how our bodies work.  As I
interpret the statement I see the stereotype reinforced.  This may be
because I experience my body as important to my being in the world as
any other facet of my humanity.  I may get pain, but do I ever get
pleasure!  <VBBG>

CP bodies compare as men to women, women to men: can't live with 'em,
can't live without 'em.

Hugs,
ISM
"Depravity Defies Gravity"