C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:40:49 -0500
Hi guys,

I just realized that I haven't written in a really long time.  Thought
I'd check in and let you all know how things are going.  I graduated two
Sundays ago (yay!).  My class left on their four month Poland/Israel
trip last Sunday, so I'm about one part lonely and two parts worried
about all of them.  I'm not sure if I mentioned this yet, but I'm
spending the time while their gone doing intensive PT/OT so I can live
on my own in the dorms in September.

I had my first appointment today, which is what reminded me of you all.
I haven't done any therapy since I was 10, so that's going on 8 years.
It was an interesting experience... I had expected the first appointment
to be the typical getting to know you talk thing, but Christine (my PT)
started right on in... transferring, which I expected to be the hardest
(I've never done any before), went really smoothly.  It's amazing how a
transfer board (I'd never tried one) can make such a huge difference.
We've just been improvising all this time, and it blows me away how a
little "lean forward more on your elbow" or "try turning the other way"
can make something so much easier.

I'm really frustrated though, because I have a Colours chair, which is
supposed to be top-of-the line.  Come to find out that the fabric
guards/footplate will really hinder my movement, the wheels are
misaligned, and the camber is wrong.  Grrr.... no wonder I've been
having a hard time.

On one hand I'm really proud of myself for being able to transfer first
time out, but when I think about it, it's really depressing.  I had to
really struggle to sit up from a flat position, roll over, and put on my
shoes.  Come on!  Three year olds can do that... It's humiliating.  So,
I'm going back and forth between being satisfied with what I did, and
beating myself up for letting myself get to this state.  I'm pissed off
that I waited so long to start working, and was so happy depending on
everyone for so long...

Forgive me for rambling, but you guys are the only people I know who can
actually understand where I'm coming from.

Oh, and welcome, Rayna!  I've really enjoyed reading messages from you
the past few days.  More later, I'm exhausted from today...

~Joy~
http://www.geocities.com/joy0823
Last Movie Seen:  "The Wedding Planner" - 4 out of 5 stars
Current Book:  "Dr. Death" by Jonathan Kellerman