C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. S. Margolis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
I. S. Margolis
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:05:04 -0400
Shona died within a year of my mother: the last, other than then plants
and me, of a household once lively with parents, dog, and cat.  She
lived to twenty-one: part chocolate Burmese, part tortoise-shell
Siamese, rich aqua-marine eyes.

I named her, at kitten-hood and after many weeks, from the Yiddish for
precious/beautiful/exalted because I cherished her nobility, quickness,
rapport, and repartee for which I estimated her to be unique.

Except for my Washington stay, we  lived together either at an apartment
in town or with my folks..  In my absence she snuggled with my mother
who one night carried her back to me saying she found the cat too
disturbing.  Shona never left me again.

My mother died on her hospital bed in her living-room.  When I put Shona
beside the body she looked, paused, jumped off the bed, went to a corner
of the room where I never saw her go, curled up, and slept for at least
a day.  She finally woke, gave me a hello, and didn't again sleep in
that corner.

In cool weather she would maneuver under my blankets and curled into my
crotch.  No lovers ever were closer, none more trusted.

When she died I cried for a week.  Of course I mourned more than Shona:
she catalyzed my grief.

From time to time she shows up and talks to me.  She seemed more
proficient with English than I with Cat.   Then, I have no ear for
accents.

S.