C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 06:45:49 -0400
> Gordon:
>
> Thank you for being so honest. You and others that have trouble
communicating
> because of your disability have the same dreams, goals and desires like
> everyone else. You are just as important as anybody else. Your body may
not
> do what you want it to do because of your disability but your mind is
sharp.

Right now I feel very fortunate that my 5 year old son was born in this
time period than 20 + years ago. Not only do I have access to the internet
and information that wouldn't be possible otherwise but there are devices
and education plans that can help with many of these problems. Gordon, have
you ever heard of  an assisted communication device. It's a small machine
that is program to say things you would like to say. It would make
communication much easier with a simple point and touch of a finger. Today
there is no reason why oral motor issues should keep you from communicating
clearly. Again that is in the Utopian world. These devices exist and work
but getting the schools/insurance etc to agree to acquire/purchase them is
again the real world.
Joanne