C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:34:43 -0400
>>> [log in to unmask] 06/13/00 07:58PM >>>

It is interesting to note (at least in the UK) that the totally
blind children still receive a segregated education, learning in
Braille in small classes, and they are one of the most successful
groups in public life. No-one is calling for "mainstreaming"
since the system seems to work well.<<<<<

The deaf also maintain a separate education system up to and including University. It is interesting that the deaf community sees itself as a cultural group versus part of the disabled community. I went to a workshop recently re this.

We signed up the boys this week for summer pre-school programme at our local treatment centre (where Anthony receives OT, PT, SLP). As you may know, the boys have been attending an integrated pre-school all year. But Anthony is the only physically challenged child in the classroom (one child is developmentally delayed). The programme has been a great experience for everyone involved and both boys have really blossomed.

The Summer programme at the treatment centre is open to siblings so we are going to give it a try. The interesting thing is that Bobby is the only sibling signed up this year. He will be in a class with 9 physically challenged kids - only 3 of whom are independantly ambulatory. (Turnabout is fair play!) We've warned the teachers about how busy he is, lol. :-)

Yvonne

Mommy to 3year-old triplets:
Robert (NDA), Anthony (mod. spastic quad CP) and
Our Angel Joseph {April 14/ 97 - Dec. 31/ 98} (cerebral atrophy, sev. CP, global delays, Infantile spasms, CVI, Spina bifida, mic-key tube, BPD...)