C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bobby Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 09:50:55 -0500
Until 1987, we were in the Department of Special Education and
Rehabilitation. In the 20 years in that department I have seen some good
teachers and bad ones.
It is often sad to see teachers and administrators developing an "us vs.
them" mindset in regard to parents. As far as mainstreaming vs special
education, you have to take it on a case by case basis. There was one
self-contained school for the physically impaired here in Memphis and I
have seen high school graduates from that school who could not read on a
4th grade level!!! My sons in-laws had to move back to NC to obtained
decent services for their autistic son who now works and lives
independently. Beth is correct, if administrators see their job as
maintaining the status quo, then it is an up-hill battle for parents.

My .02 cents worth.

Bobby