AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Adelaide Fiske <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 16:25:52 -0500
>>> [log in to unmask] 06/05/03 02:04PM >>>
There is a story here from Voice of America at

http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectID=72D33F5E-1C62-45B9-A869E1008B89C43E#

where the UN Court officials admit tacitly that they made a mistake by not notifying the Ghanaian authorities before hand.  However, they wished Ghana would have done the right thing by arresting Taylor as soon as the indictment was announced.

Well, I am not an international law lawyer but I think something went wrong in coordinating this whole thing.  Coordination - at least Bush and Blair coordinated their lies 'perfectly.'  I am not so much bothered about arresting the sitting president of another country in or by Ghana, but if the whole world (including me) want to get Taylor that badly, they should not blame it on Ghana.

As they say in Texas, "does Ghana have a dog in this fight?"  Maybe, I don't know.

No matter how long the night, the day will come.

> Wrom: WTQTIPWIGYOKSTTZRCLBDXRQBGJSNBOHM
> Date: 2003/06/05 Thu AM 11:51:02 CDT
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Coup Attempt Foiled in Liberia
>
> Please, let us be objective in our analysis on International Issues. I am
> still waiting for a quote from the International Law Commission of UN which
> mandates any country to effect the arrest of the Sitting President of
> another Sovereign Nation. Emotions and personal sentiments do not help in
> solving any problem.
>
> The fact that Sadam Hussein was ousted by the so called coalition forces on
> the pretext of searching for WMD does not justify the credibility of their
> action. Tell me whether there was any UN sanction for Iraq's invasion and
> occupation by those who deemed it fit to pursue a regime change in Iraq. If
> the so called powerful nations of the world will not respect the UN which
> was established by them but will continuosly prefer to undermine its
> integrity, then that is unfortunate.
>
> How did Slobona Milosovic end up the at the ICJ. He was arrested by his own
> people when he was kicked out of office by his own people. That is
> International law. You do not instigate another country to arrest another
> country's president. That is tantamount to declaration of war by the country
> effecting the arrest.
>
> Efforts are being made to pursue peace in the West African community by its
> leaders, please, let us give peace a chance.
>
> Thanks and have a good day.
>
> Joe

Aggo Akyea
608-274-7409