AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Munoz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:37:49 -0600
From: Mark Givens [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 1:02 PM
Subject: Youth Service Day Letter and Project Form

This is to let you know that Saturday April 26th will be the sixth
annual DANE COUNTY YOUTH SERVICE DAY, a countywide effort to engage
thousands of youth in identifying the needs of their community and
developing service projects to address those needs. This is a
collaboration led by the United Way Volunteer Center in partnership with
the Youth Resource Network and with generous sponsorship from Summit
Credit Union.

I am writing on behalf of the Dane County Youth Service Day Planning
Committee to ask for your assistance in helping to develop opportunities
for youth to serve the community.  We are looking for projects that
would be appropriate for youth ages 10-18.
Most of the youth will be in groups of various sizes and will be
accompanied by a chaperone. The groups are being encouraged to arrange
their own projects and your suggestions will aide in that development.

We have the opportunity this year to work side by side with the
Morgridge Center for Public Service and Hillel on the UW-Madison campus
and their community volunteer efforts (The Community Plunge and Do The
Deed). This new and exciting opportunity extends the range of possible
projects and creates a wonderful chance for younger members of our
community to connect with some of the older students. If you would like
to find out more about arranging a project in conjunction with the
University, feel free to give me a call at 246-5487.

Please fill out the form below to suggest your projects.  And keep in
mind any alternative plans in case of bad weather.

Thank you for your help and we look forward to hearing from you.

Mark Givens
Community Building Volunteer Coordinator,
United Way Volunteer Center
Youth Service Day Committee

VOLUNTEER PROJECT FORM

Your Agency or Community Group:
Contact person:
Address:
Phone:
E-Mail:

VOLUNTEER PROJECT (please be as specific as possible):
What will the volunteers be doing?

What will this help to accomplish for your agency or community?

REMEMBER TO THINK ABOUT ALTERNATIVE PROJECTS IN CASE OF BAD WEATHER!

How many volunteers can participate in this project?  _____________
(min.)      _____________  (max.)

Approximately how long will this project take?  _________________
(should be between 3 and 6 hours)

Can this project be done in
the:            morning         afternoon               either

Is there a minimum age for the volunteers you need?  If so, what is it?
__________

Is this project being organized in conjunction with the University's
efforts?                Yes     No
        Would you like to be contacted with more information about this
possibility?    Yes     No

If this is an Earth Day project and you already have a group coming out
to help you, please indicate the group's name here:

We will not be able to provide supplies.  If you need supplies provided
to complete your project, please list them below and we will attempt to
refer volunteer groups that can bring some or all of what you need.
Please be specific, we need to know exactly what you need and how much
of it you need.

THESE PROJECT FORMS ARE DUE BY MARCH 3, 2003.

You can respond via email, mail, or fax.

United Way Volunteer Center
Attn:  Mark Givens
P.O. Box 7548
Madison, WI  53707-7548

Fax: 246-4349

Email: [log in to unmask]

Questions?  Call Mark Givens at 246-5487 or e-mail [log in to unmask]

Submitting a project form is not a guarantee that you will receive
volunteers.  If your project is chosen by a volunteer group you will be
contacted by the coordinator of that group for more details and to
finalize plans to work together.

Thank you for your assistance.

Applications are now being accepted for volunteers to support students
during the 2002-2003 school year. Your involvement just a few hours each
week can make a difference.

http://www.ulgm.org/volunteer.htm
608.251.8550
608.251.9040 (tty)