AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
adrienne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 14:07:30 -0500
Hello Mathew,

I do appreciate your comments and felt compelled to reply this time.  If we
want to understand what happens to the mentality of a people who are
enslaved and colonized let's review Franz Fanon's wretched of the earth or
even the contemporary work by Randall Robinson, especially the Debt.  Not
to make excuses for my people (Africans born in America) but one has to
have a historical perspective.  During the 60's when we were organizing and
many progressives were looking toward the motherland, i.e., Africa--the US
government (via the FBI) made every effort to destabilize our organizations
and did so successfully.  Small efforts are still being made by groups
today such as the All-African People's revolutionary Party (Kwame Ture's,
aka, Stokley Carmichael's organization), Africans on the Move, etc and
these groups are in danger with the new "anti-terrorism" laws that will be
applied widespread to all revolutionary and humans rights groups.

Many Africans born in America are travelling to Africa and assuming some
responsibility to help develop our motherland and contribute to
society.  The friendships and marriages of Africans from the diaspora with
Africans from the continent is also a positive development.  Yes--we
definitely have a lot of work to do with leaders like Jessie Jackson!

Forward, ever--backward never--from Rakina