AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
adrienne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:19:33 -0600
Hi All,

As a provider of health care for women who has been in the field for many
years, all I have to say is that I'll be really surprised if this ever
reaches the market--not that I'm against the idea.  However, FYI there are
two new contraceptive methods for women that are currently being released
into the U.S. market--the "patch" which provides a continuous supply of the
hormones estrogen and progesterone (same as in the pill) that women change
once/week for 3 weeks then remove for the 4th week, during which time they
get their periods.  It can be worn on the abdomen, chest (not the breasts),
or buttocks and supposedly it has a very strong adhesive so it does not
come off easily, while at the same time being gentle on the skin.

The other new method is the "ring", which is inserted vaginally (about the
size of a small bracelet but a soft plastic) and also releases the
hormones.  It is left in for 3 weeks and removed at the beginning of the
4th for 1 week.  Supposedly, it does not come out and a partner does not
feel it when its in place.

Both methods are as effective as oral contraceptives--or the pill.

Have a nice weekend and Happy Easter all--bye.

Rakina Muhammad