AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Weller, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 12:38:46 -0500
With the capture of Foday Sankoh in Freetown, Sierra Leone, yesterday,
Wednesday, the end of our 8 years ordeal is definitely in sight  Talk of
returning to the status quo ante is at the center of our problems. I hope
this is not the reason why pro-government forces are being denied logistical
support when they badly need it. You cannot mobilize young men for combat
duties and fail to provide for them.
Pressuring the combatants to return to pre-crisis positions and calling for
a revival of the Lomé accord may be good for the peacekeepers but absolutely
bad for Sierra Leone. The peacekeepers should be freed, but the
international community should accept the fact that Lomé (Treaty)is
unimplementable. We should not be given more of the same old poison.
With best wishes,
Ben