AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Aliko SONGOLO <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 11:57:14 -0600
I normally do not get into AAM debates on e-mail because they are time
consuming and sometimes pointless. However, in the present instance, I am
intrigued by what Askia's history of AAM has left out, and wonder if the
silence is inspired by any motivation other than carelessness. In any case,
it is important, I think, to set the record straight.

While it is not pleasant to speak of bad times, it is worth remembering
that when I was elected President (despite my protestations) in September
1995, we found AAM near collapse. Meetings were attended by only a handful
of people, and discord was rampant, even among those few. The most urgent
task of the new Executive was to put the association back on solid ground
and get people to talk and associate with one another again. Structural
changes, among them the systematic use of the computer for the
association's records, were undertaken. The revision of the Constitution
which is now being lauded for its efficacy took about a year of work by a
committee under the able leadership of the Vice-President, Samoh Wallang.
The provision which now allows automatic succession to the Presidency was
hotly debated both in committee and at general meetings, and opposed as
unworkable by some who have since benefitted from it.

One could go on, but there is no need, and time is in short supply. This
should suffice to remind us that the writing of history can be a dangerous
thing if it is not done correctly, and that truncated views of history have
done immeasurable harm to our beloved African societies.

Aliko Songolo