AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"E. Aggo Akyea" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:00:08 -0600
I have personally read both sides of the issue, and I saw the entire series
and I still disagree with Gates on substantial portions of his program.  Now
that we know his objectives, it is even more ironic that he could not do a
better job than what he did and presented.

Among other things, he left the impression that the Ashanti Kingdom WAS only
because of Ashantis traded slaves to white Europeans.  What about white
Europeans who conceived, planned, and implemented this trade at high risks
to themselves for serious economic gain?  Can you imagine getting on a
sailing boat 500 years ago and travelling around the world to get slaves?
You'd do everything to get those slaves once you get to Africa including
bribes to anyone who can get you those slaves. What about the situation and
context of the times from the Ashanti's perspective?  If we are jumping into
hasty conclusions, Gates as a scholar is worse than us.

Constructive criticism is no vice, so long as it is not personal.  We can
not sit on the fence forever, but must take a stand and articulate it
vigorously.

Thanks much.