AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 11:45:44 -0600
This is a response from someone who preferred to be anonymous.

N.

>I'm replying to you off list --
>
>I think that is a solid description of the dominant view of when "history"
begins.  Keep in mind the "commonly accepted" dividing line between
"history" and "pre-history"  for this part of the world is 1492 . . .

>Same goes with what is considered to be history (written) and what is
considered "myths" or "legends and lore" (oral history).  As you so often
point out, society priveledges the  knowledge and experience of certain
groups and discounts, denigrates, or ignores that of others.  Doesn't
matter much whether we are talking about politics, education, or journalism.