Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Secola/Nieft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 1997 23:05:29 -0600
I want to give another plug for Maine Coast Sea Vegetables:(207) 565-2907
for credit card orders or price list--they have other seaweeds and a couple
processed products. Particularly their dulse, which is harvested wild from
pretty pristine waters near the Canadian border--and certified organic for
whatever that's worth. (My only association with the company is in the role
of happy consumer.) The mineral content of dulse is quite stunning and
would make a welcome addition to any paleo-diet. Dulse is strongly flavored
(and salty) but when you get used to it you may never go without. A couple
years ago they had a bad harvest and ended up buying some from Iceland to
resell. When we first got a batch of the Icelandic we were disappointed
because it tasted very different from the Maine. We thought we'd never use
our five pound bag. But a few weeks later it tasted delicious. And when we
got our next batch of Maine dulse several months later, we had grown to
prefer the Icelandic dulse. But the same thing: in a few weeks it became
tasty again. I say this only to help you temper (perhaps) the reaction many
people have to their first taste of dulse: strong and unpleasant. It is
worth cultivating the taste IMO.

It perks up any salad or veggie dish and can be eaten straight from the
bag.  On a whim once, I dressed some dulse with extra virgin olive oil, but
haven't done so since: I'd never stop eating it! It keeps for years, and if
you leave the bag open you have a rough guide to the humidity level in the
air. Whan very very dry it becomes crumbly, only to become "pliable" again
when the humidity rises. If the saltiness is too much for you, you can soak
dulse in water for a minute or two and drain it off--losing some other
nutrients I'm sure.

Some healthfood stores carry 2 oz. packets for $4-$6 depending on the mark
up, but I just ordered 6 lbs of dulse (flaked, which is cheaper) last week
direct from MCSV and paid $9 a _pound_ minus 10% for orders over $50 (plus
reasonable UPS shipping). Leaf dulse is around $13/lb. Leaf and flake are
essentially the same product except, of course, for the size. Many people
would consider the flakes more "attractive" and they are certainly easier
to use on a salad instead of flaking it yourself in a blender, or soaking
and cutting with a knife (dry dulse is tough to a knife but melting in the
mouth).

Of course, one might buy an overpriced packet from a healthfood store to
see if it has any merit before ordering bulk. If anyone does ever order
some, have a chat with the friendly lady who answers the phone. It's a
small operation and she'd get a kick outta the idea that you heard about it
on an internet mailing list. We order 5-8 lbs once a year or so and somehow
she remembered me when I called last week.

Anyway, dulse (along with comb honey) seems to be a food "worthy of greater
recognition"--at least to me. Any other posters have a marginal food they
might share with the list?

Cheers,
Kirt

Kirt Nieft / Melisa Secola