Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 11:36:40 -0500
This URL has some interesting comments about green tea, fluoride and
thyroid:

http://www.holisticmed.net/add/mullenix.txt

I haven't done any real research myself yet except to read a bunch of
abstracts second-handed from the web. Here are my very preliminary thoughts:

1. green tea and tea in general does seem to have a lot of fluoride in it,
but what really counts is how much an infusion gets and how much of that is
bioavailable.

2. a cup of green tea has perhaps .1mg to .3mg (depending upon who you ask),
with .3mg being the safer bet if you are concerned about this as it is the
higher figure in one study.

3. including calcium ingestion with your fluoride (or green tea) reduces
bioavailability of fluoride significantly. There is a reference to boiling
tea with milk, as they are said to do in India, and that reduces
bioavailability of the fluoride.

4. Drinking water that is fluoridated may contain perhaps .1mg of fluoride
per serving. If you make your tea from fluoridated water, of course, you'll
get even more.

5. The above kind of reduces the appeal of green tea for me. I wonder if
there is any green tea that contains much less fluoride.

6. Absent further study, I will restrict my green tea consumption to one or
two cups per day.

7. I have always been concerned with using non-stick pans at higher
temperatures as these definitely emit fluorine and fluoride compounds and
mixed with foods this will increase fluoride consumption.

Anyone have more data or thoughts?

--Richard