C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 21:43:36 EST
7bit
From:
Magenta Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Joanne,

I'd say that is something that Alex himself has to figure out when he's a bit
older. Walking became problematic for me in college and when I was struggling
to live independently. In particular, grocery shopping killed my back, and
took me several days to recover. In the meantime, as long as it remains fun
for him, and a challenge for him that he wants to work on, I'd say, let him
walk, as atrophy is the worst thing for cp. but if he's spending time
grudgingly learning to walk, when he could be with other kids playing, well,
I'd really look at that and ask, is it worth it?  Each person is different,
and our CP is always different.  You'll probably know when the time comes,
perhaps in high school when he wants to keep up with his buddies after
school...

Mag