C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:59:29 +0100
From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
On Friday 27 October 2000 11:31 am, you wrote:
> > I bet you're not paying about $5.30 per (US) gallon - we are!!!
>
> Holy Mackerel!  Deri, was it you who said that?  Are you guys really paying
> that much for good old petrol?

Holy Cadillacs, Betty. Hence the recent "civil disobedience" problems (Europe
wide, beginning of September) - refinery blockades, 5mph Lorry "Convoys"
across all lanes of the Motorway, etc.!!!! That's why I got trapped in Wales
for a week in a cottage half way up a mountain (no petrol - all refineries
blockaded).

Most of the cost is tax, noble idea - make petrol so expensive people will
find "greener" modes of transport. The gotcha is that the tax raised is not
being used to improve Public Transport to a level where its feasible to leave
the car at home.

> Geezuflip!  I won't complain about gas prices here anymore ($1.65 per
> gallon right now in DC).  I hope at least they check your oil and clean
> your windshield.

Ah, you're talking about service - 'fraid you'll have to go to the USA for
that!!!!

> Changing the subject.  I found a great book about Stonehenge in my Mom's
> collection and I've been poking through it tonight.  What a fantastic
> place!
>
> Betty

Stonehenge is positively amazing, and so easy to get (almost!) arrested. How
was I to know (after an all night party!!) that certain Druidic practices
broke some local bye-law!!