C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 01:32:56 EDT
I meant to post this before but I kept forgetting.

A few months ago, I was in a sports store looking for better wheelchair
gloves.  At the moment, I use a manual chair.  I have tried so many gloves
over the past couple of years, and the traditional wheelchair gloves don't
serve me well anymore.  The store employee who helped me was a great guy, and
we went all over the store testing various sports gloves that might
accomplish the task of helping me make up for lost grip strength.

Just when we were about to give up, he remembered a new type of glove that
hadn't been on the market for long.  He took me to the football section, and
touchdown!  Receivers gloves.  They are made by Nike, and far surpass
anything I have used to date.  They cost about $40.00 and are well worth the
expense.  The palm is tacky (not sticky tacky), and does a great job of
gripping, so great in fact, that it makes me wonder if these gloves should be
legal for game use.  This more than makes up for whatever I lack physically
and I have never been happier.  I spent the rest of my shopping experience
that day feeling a new freedom.

I don't know if this kind of glove would help a CPer, but I wanted to mention
it just in case.  It is full fingered with a velcro closure on the back of
the hand.  These gloves are fairly easy for me to don, but I realize that my
issues are different from someone with CP who might have more control
problems.  I have some dexterity trouble with my hands though, for whatever
that's worth.

Just sharing...I hope this might help somebody else.  This was one of the
things that made me want to get back on the list.  My first thought was that
I wanted to share this with you, then I realized "Well YIDIOT, you can't now
can you?"

Betty (who missed you all very much when she was gone)