From:
West Windsor-Plainsboro School District <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 08:16:35 -0400

Listmates,

I too have recently found that I have gained an extra 5 or 10 unwanted
pounds.  I have been exercising and lifting weights so I figure that a
couple of pounds may be the muscle tone that I never had before I was a
healthy Celiac.  I was diagnosed almost 6 years ago at which point, I
thought I weighed 102 (I'm 5'4"), looked anorexic, felt absolutely awful
all the time, thought I was dying, had no energy to do anything...etc.
etc.  I feel great now.  At 48, I feel younger, can do more - both
physically and mentally - then I did at 30.   I wonder what I could have
accomplished had I been diagnosed 20 years ago or 45 years ago since I
have had constant up and down health (celiac-related) problems beginning
in early childhood.  Oh well....that's water under the bridge!

Anyway, I do not like this weight gain thing - especially since I have
never had to diet in my entire life.  I feel like my scale is the enemy
right now.  At last check, I was up to 120 pounds and climbing.  I
figure my ideal weight at my age, build, etc....to be about 112.  I have
had blood work to rule out thyroid, etc.

My goal here is to find out what other Celiacs in a similar situation
have done, are doing to combat this crazy weight gain.  I will post the
results as I know a lot of people will be interested in this
information.  Please answer the following questions and add whatever
information you feel would be helpful.  THANKS!!!  Deb

1.  What was your average weight range before you went GF?

2.  How long after becoming GF did you start gaining weight?

3.  How much did you weigh before you decided to diet?

4.  How long did it take you to gain what you consider excess weight?

5.  What do you consider your ideal weight?

6.  List and describe the most successful method of weight
loss/maintenance that you have tried so far.

7.  Do you exercise?  If so - describe what you do.

8.  Did you exercise before becoming GF?

9.  What do you attribute the "excess" weight gain to?  (example:  high
calorie GF food, overeating, etc.)

10.  List any special foods, recipes that have helped you lose, maintain
your weight goal if you have reached it.

Add any additional comments, suggestions, etc.  I will post the results
to the list!

Thanks,

Deb

Debra Resch