From:
Diane Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:23:50 GMT

To those of you who wrote requesting a summary, my apologies for taking a
few days.  I had written because I saw Ghiradelli chocolate chips listed in
the Clan Thompson newsletter as not gluten-free, and I wasn't getting a
response from the Ghiradelli information number quickly enough.

    The short answer seems to be that: Ghiradelli has not changed their
ingredients, or their procedures.  They have simply added a general
disclaimer regarding nuts, gluten, and milk protein to their labels.  One
person who managed to speak to them said that the reason is that
gluten-containing products are manufactured in the same facilities (but not
on the same equipment), so there is the possibility of some air-borne
particles floating around.  Another person, however, said that they told his
wife that they "have a product with cookie pieces that run on the same
equipment as the chocolate chips - but they do clean between runs."

    Someone else informed me that their child had become sick after eating
something they baked with Ghiradelli chocolate chips.

     One person recommended Trader Joe's brand of chocolate chips.  Another
recommended, I believe (message was erased), Tropical Source. (My problem
with those is they contain tofu, and I cannot eat soy.)

     OK, here's the latest official word.  Ghiradelli did not return my
call, but mailed me a very detailed list of their products, dated May 23,
2000, broken down as to what allergen traces they might contain.  On p. 4 it
states: "The following items do not contain any gluten. (These items are not
manufactured on any of the same equipment as products that contain gluten,
however, a very slight possibility of trace contamination does exist"
('very' in italics).  It goes on to list chocolate chips (double, milk,
semi-sweet), sweet ground chocolate and cocoa, unsweetened cocoa, hazelnut,
mocha, double chocolate & white mocha hot chocolates, milk, mint and dark
squares, and milk and mint chocolate wafers/drops.

     I'm not sure whether I will still use this brand or not.  Quite likely
Ghiradelli is simply more thorough and honest in their labeling than some
other manufacturers who simply state, when asked, that they are gluten-free.
  Having "may contain gluten" on the label ertainly is a turn-off, however.
                 Diane, NYC