From:
Holly Gallahue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:46:56 EDT

Thank you everyone, I guess there are still different opinions about grain
alcohol. All I know is my daughter got very sick 4 hours after eating this
yogurt so whatever is in it we wont be eating it again. we are learning more
everyday its just to bad she has to suffer along the way. Thanks again! Holly

"Id take that question right back to Stonyfield.  They may always use
flavoring with wheat-derived alcohol.  They may always use corn-derived
alcohol.  They may use whatever is cheap locally.  What they've told you
doesn't give enough information."

"The discussion this last week has been about exactly that. There is no
gluten in distilled alcohol in either plain vodkas, bourbons, or
flavorings, Holly. The distilling process leaves any molecule that large
behind. They are safe unless there has been gluten added after the
distilling, such as in flavored vodkas, etc. This would also clear
distilled vinegars. All are safe."

"Corn is a grain and fruit is not.  So if the flavors are made from corn
they are OK, if made from some other grain they are not.  If made from fruit
they are ok."

"According to Don Kasarda, the grain expert, who I saw speak in Baltimore for
the Celiac symposium, he said do not worry about gluten in grain alcohols or
in distilled vinegars."

"It is not safe. I have been sick for 6 months because I ate their product
three weeks straight. Please don't make the same mistake."

"I have called Stonyfield a couple of times. They told me the same thing that
they told you. They cannot say that the yogurt is GF. I was very disappointed
to find that out, as I used to love Stonyfield.

Dannon is GF and so is Yoplait; you will have to change brands as I did.
As I have said over and over in the almost 3 years since diagnosis, I feel so
much better than ever in my entire life that changing a few brands and giving
up a few things is no sacrifice."

"It doesn't matter. The process of distillation (producing the alcohol)
eliminates all gluten. All scientists agree on this; it is only people on
this list who don't understand chemistry who think alcohol could be a problem
for celiacs."