From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 17:22:05 -0400

I was very upset by the information that was given to Donna on the child with
peanut/nut allergies. Perhaps I am particularly sensitive to the issue of peanut
allergies do to the fact that my grandson cannot even go to school
because the of the risk of death due to peanut allergies.  Many in our
family have CD and many other allergies, and must be sensitive to these
foods, but even though we will be very sick, it will not instantly,
within minutes, kill us.  These allergies of peanuts and nuts will!

Many of the candies advised in the summary had peanuts and nuts in them.
Many of the companies that I called such as M & M's and Hersey's have
confirmed they use the same machines and nut/peanut pieces are present.
Often coconut is not even acceptable (Mounds) and like CD, most people
have no idea how many foods can be contaminated by peanuts/nuts.  It is
imperative that with foods that cause anaphylactic shock that no one
give advice unless they are absolutely sure that the company has
confirmed the safety of the product and the manufacturing conditions.

I may be coming on strong, but after standing by watching doctor's and nurses
trying to resisatitate my 2 year old grandson after eating some cake
frosting, and not being sure they could, and then hearing of another
child of 5 who died in 40 minutes,one gets passionate.  Please be sure
of your information before giving advice on such a serious problem, one
even more serious than CD.  I know people mean well and want to be
helpful, and I appreciate that, but we must be sure when it is a life
threatening condition.  Thanks for hearing me out.  Carol in NJ