From:
Renee Cronenwalt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 15:33:10 EST

Yesterday, our family returned from a fabulous vacation at Beaches Resort in
Turks and Caicos.  We selected Beaches because it provided a number of
diverse activities including Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, Spa and Fitness room,
Tennis, etc., etc., etc..  for our intergenerational family. We did not know
anyone who had been there but were impressed with their ads and our travel
agent assured us that it was a first rate operation.  My daughter and I are
both adult Celiacs and we were quite anxious about the food situation but
decided to take a chance.  We did pack our own pasta, rice cakes and
chocolate bars, but felt that in the Caribbean, we at least would have lots
of fruits and vegetables.  The rest we left to chance and they were marvelous.

A week prior to our arrival, I sent a FAX, addressing it to the Food and
Beverage Director.  Upon arrival, we sought him out.  His name is Mario
Machado and he was wonderful to us.  He introduced us to Chef Josef, who is
the Executive Chef over all their six restaurants.  Each day, we told Chef
Joseph at which restaurants we would be eating and he informed the cooks at
each restaurant that we would be there.  He told us we could order off the
menu and that wherever possible, they would adapt that dish to our dietary
situation.  Except for avoiding their large buffet restaurant, we ate
everywhere, nearly everything, and never got sick.  In their Italian
restaurant, they prepared our rice pasta for us.  In the Japanese Restaurant,
they actually created a sauce out of sesame oil, fresh garlic, ginger, salt
and pepper, as a substitute for the Teriyaki and soy sauces and cooked on the
same grill, in a separate corner, using clean implements from the food they
were preparing regular Tappan style.  It was great.

Except for dessert, we never felt deprived or different.  The only dessert we
ate aside from lots of fresh fruit, was flan and soft ice cream, however, we
did have our chocolate bars.

Because they went to so much trouble for us, I asked Mr. Machado if he would
object to my writing to this large International list, and tell them of our
positive experience.  I warned him he might hear from more Celiacs and have
to offer these special services to them a well.  He said they would welcome
the challange.In addition to the incomparable food service, we found Beaches
to be a great vacation spot for families of all ages, from infants to
grandparents with activities for all.  The accommodations were also very
good.

I have absolutely no financial interest in Beaches Resort.  I just had a
great experience and wanted to share it with all of you.  Renee Cronenwalt,
Beverly Hills, Calif. USA