From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 23:50:11 EST

                             Recipe Page
                             -----------

                      Tomato-Mozzarella Tartlet
                    (also known as "Yuppie Pizza")

   2 Nature's Hilights brown rice pizza crusts, thawed (sold in the
      frozen food section in health food stores)
   1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided (I use Frigo brand
      chunk)
   3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided (I use Frigo brand wedge)
   4-6 Roma tomatoes, sliced 1/8 inch thick, divided
   1-2 tsp. dried thyme, divided
   salt and pepper to taste
   1 Tbsp. olive oil, divided

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Place the crusts directly on the oven rack and bake 3-5 minutes.
Remove the crusts from the oven and sprinkle them with mozzarella
cheese.  Return the crusts to the oven rack and bake another 3-5
minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Remove the crusts from the oven.  Cover them with a single layer of
tomato slices.  Top them with a layer of parmesan cheese.  Sprinkle
with thyme and season with salt and pepper.  Drizzle with olive oil.

Return the crusts to the oven 3-5 minutes, or until the parmesan
cheese melts.  Remove from the oven when the crusts are crispy, with
some softness toward the center (but not too much softness or the
crusts will be gummy).

Cut each crust into 6-8 wedges.  Serves 8 as an appetizer.

Tips:  These may be cooked on a covered grill.  Modify the recipe as
follows:

  * Over medium heat, cook the crusts directly on the grill rack about
    3-5 minutes, checking to avoid burning.

  * Remove them from the grill and assemble all ingredients on the
    cooked side of the crusts.

  * Return the crusts to the grill and cook 3-5 minutes, checking to
    avoid burning.  Don't undercook.

With either method, you'll have to play with the cooking times, as
there is a perfect window between under- and over-done with these
crusts.  The payoff, however, is delicious.  My gluten-eating family
asks me to make them for every family gathering.  Enjoy.

This recipe comes to us from Janet Armil, who served them at a recent
board meeting.