From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 23:50:09 EST

:                                                      :
:          Excerpts from _Celiac Connections_          :
:          ----------------------------------          :
: Jan./Feb. 2000                Barbara Jordan, editor :
:                    The Celiac Disease Resource, Inc. :
:                                           PO Box 621 :
:                                  Glenmont, NY  12077 :
:......................................................:

Have a Very Veggie New Year
---------------------------
Karen Anderson, CSW, RD, CDN Nutrition Advisor, The Celiac Resource,
Inc.

For those planning a gluten-free, vegetarian diet, Karen Anderson
suggests the following combinations for completing the protein in your
meals:

* Nature's Path Honey'd Corn Flakes topped with unprocessed (no added
    oils) soynuts
* Homemade bean flour muffins made with Hains Soy Milk
* Crunchy Skippy Peanut Butter Spread on a frozen banana and rolled in
    Nutty Rice Cereal
* Quaker White Hominy Grits with Chopped Blue Diamond Almonds and Sue
    Bee Honey
* Ener-G Foods Rice Almond Bread spread with Arrowhead Mills Tahini
* Homemade Hummus: Dip into it with Edward & Sons Brown Rice Crackers
* Smucker's All Natural or Jif Peanut Butter (lowfat or regular) on
    Orville Reddenbacher's Caramel Rice Cakes
* Gillian's Sesame/Poppy Seed Roll with Arrowhead Mills Almond Butter
* Homemade "trail mix" combining Dole Raisins, Hershey Chocolate
    Chips, Rice Crunch Ems Cereal and Planter's Dry Roasted Peanuts or
    pumpkin seeds
* Health Valley Fat Free Chili Burrito or Enchilada
* Tostitos Corn Tortilla Chips with Ortega Refried Beans
* Jolly Time Popcorn and a side dish of Planters Dry Roasted Peanuts
* Tinkyada Brown Rice Penne Pasta with Lawry's Pesto Sauce and fresh
    pine nuts
* Grilled polenta cakes topped with chopped tomatoes, garlic, navy
    beans and scallion ragout
* Bush's Deluxe Vegetarian Baked Beans with a side of homemade GF corn
    bread
* Healthy Choice Lentil Soup with a side dish of Pastariso rice pasta
* Gluten-free elbow macaroni salad tossed with Wishbone Italian Salad
    Dressing
* Canned, unseasoned black beans mixed with Uncle Ben's Converted
    White Rice or Brown Rice and fresh chopped herbs
* Risotto made with fresh peas, corn, and unenriched basmati rice
    simmered in Swanson Vegetable Broth.
* Stir fried tofu in Wesson Canola Oil with sesame seeds and San-J Soy
    Sauce with fresh cut vegetables
* Dole California Style Trail Mix

[Please consult your registered dietitian to ensure you are meeting
your nutritional needs before making any major changes in your
diet.--Dorothy Vaughan, dietitian advisor for TCCSSG]

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Gluten Solutions
----------------
by Bryan Van Noy, Primary Founder

As more and more celiacs are properly diagnosed, a growing number of
gluten-free manufacturers are suddenly emerging.  They bring the
promise of high quality, great-tasting products that will deliver a
broader variety of foods to the celiac community.  However, most new
manufacturers are relatively small and family owned, which limits
their ability to sell nationally.  Therefore, most of us will
unfortunately never even see some of these great new products in our
local health food stores.

Fortunately, the emergence of new gluten-free manufacturers has
brought with it a few companies hoping to bring them all together and
create a more convenient way for all celiacs to shop.  One such
company is Gluten Solutions, a new online grocery store that was built
from the ground up as a gluten-free specialty store.  Founded by four
entrepreneurs from California, the idea for the company actually came
about as a result of a cancelled lunch appointment.

As I was on my way to a client lunch appointment I received a last
minute cancellation call.  Opting for a quick lunch alone, I kept
myself company with a copy of the LA Times.  Buried deep inside the
Business Section, I found a spotlight article about a new kind of
specialty flour company--Authentic Foods run by Steve Rice.  As I read
on about Celiac Disease, the special challenges a gluten-free diet
presents, and the unusually high misdiagnosis rates, I was shocked to
learn that up to 1 in 250 Americans may have Celiac Sprue, but only a
fraction ever know it!  Moreover, I was in disbelief that although I
had worked in health care for 5 years, I had never even heard of
Celiac Disease.

After finishing the article, curiosity got the best of me, and I
stopped in a local health food store to find the gluten-free section.
After much searching, I finally came across a tiny section of
gluten-free flours and mixes, buried at the very bottom of the
narrowest aisle in the store.  Astonished, I started thinking how
difficult it must be for the thousands of celiacs to find a decent
variety of gluten-free foods at fair prices.  Where did they shop?
After all, this health food store only offered 3 brands, and 2 of the
3 were from big manufacturers who appear to have developed their
gluten-free line simply as an afterthought.  There was poor selection,
the prices were outrageous, and the gluten-free section was
practically hidden in the back of the store.

Since I had always been left unfulfilled by my "corporate" job, I set
out to do something more meaningful and rewarding.  After several
months of research and brainstorming, I and the three co-founders of
Gluten Solutions decided that we had formulated a better way to shop
gluten-free.  Our idea was simple; to create an Internet/mail order
business that would warehouse a huge selection of gluten-free
products, and ship them to the customer with one low shipping rate.
We would use the Internet, a mail order catalog, and a toll-free
number to accept orders.  We also committed to a standard that every
customer's order would ship out the same business day or next business
day from the time they ordered.  Further, we decided to model our
customer service standards after those of the most respected customer
service retailer on the West Coast, Nordstrom.  The vision became
clear--to offer the largest selection of gluten-free foods and the
most convenient, hassle-free way to purchase them.

On August 24,1999, Gluten Solutions opened its doors with just 15
products from only four manufacturers.  Just three months later, we
had grown to offer select products from Authentic Foods, Ener-G Foods,
Pamela's Products, The Really Great Food Company, Pastariso, Legumes
Plus, Sylvan Border Farm, Gluten-Free Pantry, and Nature's Highlights.
Within another month, we were offering additional products from
De-Ro-Ma (Glutino), 'Cause You're Special, Gluten-Free Cafe, and Jowar
(makers of Sorghum).  To date, 95% of all our orders have been shipped
the same business day a customer has ordered.  If you'd like to save
money on shipping charges when you order online or by mail, then
Gluten Solutions may be worth a look.  Our comprehensive web site
allows you to study nutrition information and ingredients for each
product, to chat about celiac related issues, and you can even read or
post your own customer reviews for every product offered (like
Amazon.com).  For those who prefer more traditional channels, we also
offer a mail order catalog and a toll-free number at 1-888-8-GLUTEN
(M-F 9-5 CST).

:                                         :
:   Excerpts from _Gluten-Free Friends_   :
:   -----------------------------------   :
: Winter 1999      R. Jean Powell, editor :
: Spring 2000      Montana Celiac Society :
:                1019 So. Bozeman Ave. #3 :
:                      Bozeman, MT  59715 :
:.........................................:

Traveling in Europe
-------------------
by Margrit Syroid

I recently returned from a six-week visit in Switzerland, and I have
some important news to share with other Celiac patients if planning a
trip overseas.  They may be wondering, "Will we 1) have to starve?  2)
bring a suitcase full of food?  or 3) spend hours researching where to
buy gluten-free products?"

Well, I can solve their problem!  Actually, I have to credit family
and friends, who solved it for me, even before I arrived there.

The company I know that services all of Europe is called Schar.  They
put out numerous brochures with pictures, contents (ingredients),
weights, etc.

It might be important to mention that in the German speaking
countries, Celiac translates into "Zoliakie"; in Italian "Celiachia";
in Spanish "Celiaca"; and in French (the best one) "Des Intolerants Au
Gluten!"

Humor aside, the most helpful booklet I found is titled in the various
languages, Points of Sale, 1998.  [Per a telephone conversation with
the author, the booklet was published by Schar and was picked up by a
friend from a Reformhaus in Switzerland--ed.]  It lists all the
various stores in the various European countries by name, address, and
phone numbers in many of the cities.  It proved very helpful to me.
(These countries are listed:  Great Britain, Netherlands, Belgium,
France, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Austria, Germany, Switzerland).

What surprised me most was the fact that these gluten-free products
are sold mostly in Pharmacies, Drugstores and Reformhauses.
Apparently you can always order items not available, and expect to
receive them in 24 hours.  The choices are numerous, from bread,
flour, mixes, cookies, to pizza crusts !

In the above mentioned booklet....prospective travelers can get
information or hopefully can order the booklet itself.

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

You Never Know
--------------

You Never Know when something you've written or said will have an
impact on someone else.  The following story is a powerful example of
serendipity.  By R.  Jean Powell.

A Montana family had been struggling for months with the illness of
their two-year old little boy, taking him from doctor to doctor,
hospital to hospital.  He suffered asthma attacks and severe eczema.
He was underweight, looking 9 months old, not two years old.  He was
fatigued, weak and miserable.  A doctor suspected a wheat allergy, so
his worried and anxious mom went to a health food store, where she
found a few recipes for gluten- and wheat-free food with information
about gluten enteropathy.  Calling the telephone number on the recipe
sheet connected her with Eloise Faber of Deer Lodge, who was puzzled
that that particular information had come to rest in a distant health
food store, because it contained outdated information and recipes she
had written several years before.

The mom spoke of her fears to Eloise who wisely recommended that they
have the baby tested for antibodies.  A rare opportunity for all of us
was the upcoming University of Maryland Serological Screening to be
held during Dr. Fasano's lecture in Billings on June l9th.  The
family made the trip and the baby was tested.

Two-year old children are not the best subjects for anti-endomysial
and anti-gliadin studies.  Because of age, results can be deceptive.
Still, it was recommended by the University of Maryland Lab, on the
basis of his blood test results, that he undergo the endoscopic
biopsy, which he did.  Reading the results, the local
gastroenterologist felt that the baby was not a celiac, that his
symptoms were caused by asthma.  The parents, disheartened, were back
to square one.

I reminded the mom that Dr. Fasano would appreciate receiving villi
slides from Montana biopsies for his research, then contacted the
office of the gastroenterologist who agreed to send a tissue sample to
the Maryland lab.  The 2-year-old meanwhile was slipping into more
problems with his health.  His appearance was typically celiac
according to Kerry Anselmi and others who had seen him at the Billings
blood drawing--but that is not an acceptable scientific estimation.  A
month passed with no word--until yesterday.  Dr. Irene Berti and Dr.
Fasano scrutinized the samples and both concluded that, while subtle,
the results showed villous atrophy indicating that this little guy is
indeed a celiac.

Now this child has a second chance at living a good, strong, healthy
life.  It's pretty easy to understand the trauma his parents have
suffered, but there are tears of joy in many a Montana eye this night.
And it happened because years ago Eloise Faber's recipes and handouts
found their way to a health food store 150 miles from her hometown and
sat there awaiting the mom of a very sick little boy to pick them up.
There are, as you know, no coincidences...

:                                                         :
:           Excerpts from _The WNY Celiac News_           :
:           -----------------------------------           :
: Winter 1999-2000                      Peg Quinn, editor :
:                      WNY Gluten-Free Diet Support Group :
:                                              PO Box 611 :
:                                  East Aurora, NY  14052 :

A GF Bed & Breakfast:  Looking for a Bed & Breakfast with a full
gluten-free gourmet breakfast?.  Welcome to the Avery House in
Stratford, Ontario.  It is a newly-decorated Victorian house with
immaculate rooms, and in a great location.  For more information, call
519-273-1220.--Marilyn & Cliff Hauck