C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Bobby G. Greer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 00:33:49 EDT
In a message dated 10/3/00 3:45:03 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:
Dear List

    Michael and others, the more I learn about the brain, the less I know.
One thing I know definitely is that there are many people taking
anti-depressant medication who are NOT CP. Sometimes people try to correlate
two things and they are really unrelated. To some non-CP persons CP "appears"
so depressing to the personally that that MUST be related. Not necessary so.
The comment amount depression and brain injury sounds ridiculous to me.
Depression is a common experience tyo many humans. we have more people on
Anti-depressants than just about any other medication. I have been through
about four years of clinical depression, not even counting the year after my
by-pass which is almost a gurantee for depression. But I do not believe it is
tied to CP per se. Like Mike said the experiences associated some times with
a disability can lead to depression.

Bobby

<< Lynn, People with CP can suffer Depression..  I don't think it has anything
to do with the chemistry of the brain at first. What I think happens first
is a traumatic experience, such as a perceived threat, or as in my case, a
termination of liberty in a life.  Then, if the mental anguish is not
checked (e.g. the threat removed, the liberty restored), the brain becomes
ill, and that could lead to a chemical imbalance and suicidal tendencies.
That's just my theory.  Bobby may have a scientific explanation...