C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jan Nottmeier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 22:16:22 -0400
Joy, here is how I deal with it.  When I go out to places like clubs, bars,
movies etc. I do not let it bother me when I get special perks.

The fact is in most places (rightly or wrongly) I believe there is a
perception among most people that expect us the disabled to stay at home and
look out the window felling sorry about ourselves.

So I take it in stride if I get special treatment from people so be it.  I
don't ask for it but if it happens fine.  The only thing I can control is
how I act,treat,respond etc. to people I can't control what they do.

I'll give you one example I was out listening to a life band at a club.
While most people there were busy doing nothing looking weird at the band
and drinking their beer I was out front watching the band popping Willies
having fun clapping.

After the show the band members came to me and thanked me for partying with
them and thanked me for coming to see them.  One of the band members gave me
a copy of their CD for free.  I told him no that was necessary I just
enjoyed hearing them play.  He then told me I am sorry I don't mean to put
you down because of your disability but here you are having fun partying
with us in a wheelchair while the other people just sit on their ass and do
nothing.  Take it.  I said thank you and took it.

I guess what I'm saying is I am going to live my life.  I will continue to
go out and meet people and if I get perks because of it fine.  But I'm not
looking for them,

Jan

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com