C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:27:30 -0700
At 01:29 PM 8/23/2000 -0400, Barber, Kenneth L. wrote:
>okay so this is not cp related.
>
>have any of you knowledge of digital cameras?  my wife actually told me that
>"you might want to spring for one."

DV Camera is the way to go.  The picture is far better than tape.  DV still
uses some form of tape, but it's isn't analog.  The nice thing about DV is
it is pure digital.  If you have firewire on your PC or ILink port on the
Mac or Sony (Firewire and ILink are the same thing) you can plug in your
camera and get footage from it and edit it.  After you are done with
editing, you can spit it back to the DV tape or to a VCR.  It's digital, so
there is no loss in quality when you get it from the camera, but remember
the file size are very huge.  You need to get a big drive like 40 or 70
gigs.  There is no way that you can handle the file size without some kind
of compression.  The editing program that you choose will have
compression.  Also, if your cpu is slow or the lack of ram, you will see
frame rate drop.  The more ram the better.  128megs is bare, but if you are
serious, get 256 or more.  The cpu needs to be 500 or faster.  Like Intel
p3 or AMD Athlon.  The more juice you have the better.

Firewire cards are not too expensive.  Expect to pay $100 depending on the
editing package.  REMEMBER this, before getting a card, you want to make
sure that it will work with your DV Camera!!!  You want to tell them the
brand and model of the camera.  Things have gotten a lot better, but
before, many cameras wouldn't work because of the card.

Firewire is great.  By next year Firewire will have more devices other than
cameras.  It will compete with USB, but Firewire is much faster.

DV Cameras are not too bad.  You can get one for $1000 for the entry level
and it will do all of the functions like a 8mm camera.  If money is no
object, get a Cannon.  I forget the exact model, but that baby is
awesome.  It goes for $2500, but big.  Too big for the home user.  Sony,
JVC are good.

I have a JVC and it works well.  Ignore the Firewire and computer if you
can't afford it, but if you are looking for a Camcorder, no doubt go with
DV.  It's like DVD vs. VCR.  Once you watch a DVD movie, you will never
rent tapes again.  I love DVD's with a passion.

Toobs