C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Patrick Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 21:32:16 -0600
Hi everyone:

At 09:44 AM 8/10/00 -0400, you wrote:
>That's what I meant..It was the supervisor that made the apparently snap
>judgement..

Then it is the supervisor who should be punished!!  I've had similar
incidents happen with mass transit (i.e. NOT at an airport) myself.  In
fact, lemme tell you guys what happened to me not too long ago....

I was waiting at a bus stop (here in Denver, CO) for the bus which would
drop me off across the street from my apartment building.  I had just
recently sprained my ankle, was wearing a cast, could barely walk around,
and had spent two days with mom and dad at their place since I did not feel
comfortable staying at my own place right after getting treated at the ER.

I had to do some shopping and (at the very least!) set the wheels in motion
to take care of other things, so my dad went with me to assist (and to
carry my stuff as I had to use my walker to walk with!).

Anyway, I see the bus coming up the street, so I get up from the bench and
stand right next to the bus stop itself so the driver could easily see that
I wanted on (another bus route uses that stop too, but it wasn't the one I
needed to get home on!).  As the bus was pulling up to a red light at the
street corner, I noticed something was a bit strange.

That something was the bus being in the WRONG lane for the bus stop he had
to pass by before continuing on with the rest of the route.  I was at that
bus stop!!!!

And to make matters even worse, there was a bus lane full of cars trying to
get down the street, but were all snarled by other normal traffic problems.

Seeing this, I started waving my had which had my bus transfer as if I were
saying "hello" to the President of the United States or something.

That was to no avail as because not only did the driver fail to make a
reasonable effort to correct his mistake and pull over, but he also
shrugged his shoulders right out in front of me as if to say "What do you
want me to do???".  I then waved my walker at him.  He took off.

Needless to say, I was angry!!  I was angry not only at what he did, but
also at the fact that I was then faced with having to pay PEAK HOUR BUS
FARE (which was $1.25) as my bus transfer would be useless by the time the
next bus arrived (bus transfers here in Denver have timed deadlines which
are usually no more than one or two hours after the originating bus
terminates at its final stop!  After that deadline passes, the transfer is
useless).

Once I got in my apartment, I could hardly wait till my cordless phone
battery had been recharged enough for me to call the bus company to file a
complaint (I probably could've done the same via the company's website, but
didn't think of doing that)!!!

And just this past week.....another driver almost repeated that same
incident, but he at least corrected his mistake and pulled over so I could
get on (thankfully the cast was off and I could walk around somewhat
normally!).

So.....there's my most recent hair-raising experience with shuttle systems,
mass transit, etc.  And to think they call it progress!!!  I have some
serious reservations about that!!  What do you think???

Patrick Cook
KPDC Internet Radio
Denver, Colorado
http://musicradio102x.terrashare.com/
Check out my radio station at
http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=kpdc **OR**
http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/play.pls?addr=216.32.166.89:24464&file=filename.pls
It's an online radio
station on Live365.com.  Just click on either of the links to listen.
NEW!!!!  Click below to hear the MIGHTY MusicRadio102X....
http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=musicradio102x  OR
http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/play.pls?addr=166.90.143.142:18888&file=filename.pls