C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 20:23:18 -0400
Ok Elaine, here it goes.  Get her mainstreamed and placed into a lower class
for reading.  Technically, children in most states have to be at least 2
years behind to qualify for special education services.  IDEA states that
she needs to be doing the same curriculum as everyone else.  Any exceptions
have to be placed on the IEP, also, any supports she needs to be in the
mainstream curriculum should be found on the IEP.  Therefore, she can be
mainstreamed with an aide if needed with a plan on how to remove the aide.
Just like with reading they need to have a plan on how to get her reading up
to grade level.
If I might also suggest that you get a good functional level on her sight.
I find it hard to believe that she is scoring that high on her IQ test and
yet is having problems with her reading.
How is she reading her books?

Beth the OT