From:
MICHAEL RUBIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 10:07:51 -0500
Hi,
This has been bugging me for a long time.  Every time I build a new box
using either Asus, Abit or FIC motherboards (can't say for others as these
are the brands I have used), I am always able to resolve all hardware
conflicts and get the box running smoothly except for one!  Under Device
Manager/System properties/PCI bus  I get two listings and the second one
always has a yellow flag.  I assume the PCI duplicity is for the dual
controllers.  The first PCI bus listed says everything is okay in
properties and has no flag.  The second PCI bus shows as follows with a
yellow flag:
PCI Bus properties
     /General.........Device Status- Device failure. Try changing the
driver for the device.  If that doesn't work see
                            your hardware docs (code 2).
     /Drivers..........No driver files are required or have been loaded.
     /Resources.....No conflicts
     /IRQ Steering..disabled
     /Settings..........Use hardware
Note that the first PCI bus has all the same properties but under general
says working okay.  I am using 95b and its generic bus mastering.   I have
tried to eliminate all the system stuff and have it re-recognized but the
flags seem to always persist in each of the computers I have built.

I seem to remember reading about installing bus master drivers for the
Secondary Channel to resolve this issue but I want to keep mainstream with
95b's own drivers and not mess with proprietary bus mastering.  Maybe the
mention of Bus Mastering gets the main thrust of the problem off track but
I thought it might be worth mentioning and help in the resolution.

I might add that on one system the secondary controller is not being used.
On most of the other systems I usually hang either an IDE Zip and CD rom as
the Secondary Master and slave or just a CD rom as the Secondary Master in
case this has any bearing on the matter.

Any help or comments in resolving the matter would be appreciated.  The
systems all work flawlessly (as far as I can determine) but you know how it
is when you are nagged by something that shouldn't appear and is saying
something is wrong.  Please email as well as to the list.

Thank you,
Michael Rubin
http://www.netrox.net/~blackblt/
mailto:[log in to unmask]