From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 21:00:29 -0800
I can share my own experience. Windows NT 4 includes support for "Stripe
Sets" which is essentially RAID 0 implemented in software. On my computer, I
had two identical IDE hard drives with a motherboard that had two IDE
controllers. I decided to give the stripe set a try. It worked fine, but
there was no improvement in performance that I could detect. However, if the
NT stripe set were to get corrupted, or even if my NT install got damaged
(it was not on the stripe drives), I would not be able to access the stripe
set data! This was too risky for me, and no visible improvement in
performance.

The conclusion from this may be that software implemented RAID 0 will not
benefit you. I have been considering an ABIT motherboard for AMD with RAID
IDE hardware on the board. Has anyone used one of these boards and were the
results any good?

Peter Shkabara
http://pesh.what.cc