From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 08:10:19 -0700
Carl,

Have you verified that the drive settings in the BIOS match what is on the
drive?  If the cylinders, heads, and sectors do not match, the BIOS may
still see the drive after a boot.  If, however, these settings are not
correct, properly formatting the hard drive will be near impossible.

I had similar problems to this with drives installed in Compaq Deathpro
2000s.  The number of cylinders was off by two (moral:  never trust Compaq
to auto detect anything correctly), and the drive would get to about 80%
formatted and then start getting that "trying to recover allocation unit"
error.  It would eventually format the whole drive, but it would take a
couple of hours, and a good portion of the drive would be marked with bad
tracks.  Getting into the BIOS and correcting the error fixed the problem.

Hope this helps!

Kyle Elmblade

Look for great prices and selection of electronics equipment
at www.distinctelectronics.vstoreelectronics.com