From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:23:45 -0700
Many new modern motherboards support fans and probes that can be plugged
into the motherboard and which will transmit information such as
temperature, RPMs even CPU voltage to the BIOS. This can be read by
entering the BIOS and looking at the appropriate screen or using a
compatible windows program that can read this information. Such a program
is usually provided by the motherboard manufacturer.

However if you do not have a modern board ..and even if you do ... a method
I like is to use any Digital indoor outdoor thermometer. You can purchase
one of these for as little as 10 dollars in any Radio Shack. Just put the
outdoor probe where ever you like.....the CPU heat sink...the video
card.....the hard drive bay ...anywhere you suspect there is a problem. You
can also use a piece of adhesive Velcro to attach the display to the front
of the case.

If you decide to use one of these I suggest you take the temperature from
different areas while things are running normally so that you have some
baselines to check against if things go wrong.

Mark Rode
The NoSpin Group

>What is the easiest (and cheapest) way to check the
>temperature inside computer? What kind of thermometer is
>needed?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Shmuel Meyer

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: