CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brendan Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brendan Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 09:08:41 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: Sem Karoba [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 31 August 2000 08:17
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject: Request for Support from West Papua

Dear all supporters of West Papua New Guinea

I am writing to you all asking for your help. Since 8
weeks ago, I could not connect to the Internet to send
and receive e-mails and particularly terribly
difficult to upload my html documents for two
websites: http://www.westpapua.net and
http://www.westpapua.org.uk  I am now sending short
messages from an Internet Caf here but it is an hour
to go by taxi and also the taxi here are very rare,
difficult to catch on up on time. I must wait for
hours to go back and forth. Also the cost for using
the Internet in the Caf is terribly expensive, about
GP PDS 1 per hour (Indonesian money Rp.10.000,-)

The first website is the site for current news and
information on West Papua which I have not yet
uploaded for two months now. The second website is
useful as information regarding the people of West
Papua, socio-culture, socio-politics about the Penis
Gourds (Koteka) People in West Papua.

We are unable to pay our phone bills for two months
now, i.e., Rp.2.000.000,- Indonesian money, or about
GB PDS 160.00 I was not open to you all about this
need because I was expecting people here to pay for
it, but in fact they still cannot until now. That is
why I am asking you to help us. I am also stuck here
because I cannot get funds for air tickets from
Numbay-Jakarta-London.

If anyone can help us for this need, we would really
grateful for that. Please send your contribution for
the struggle to: Barclays Bank, West Sussex Branch,
Acc. Name: Mr S. Karoba, Sort Code: 20-20-62, Account
Number: 20745236. Please e-mail me when you send your
contribution.

I am very sorry for this and thanks very much for your
support.

On behalf of all Papuans,

S. Karoba

FREE PAPUA MOVEMENT (FPM)
ORGANISASI PAPUA MERDEKA (OPM)
THE WEST PAPUA NATIONAL LIBERATION (ARMY)
TENTARA PEMBEBASAN NASIONAL PAPUA BARAT

POINTS OF PRESS RELEASE
No. 01.29.08.2000

Hal: Peoples Motion of Distrust to the Presidium
Council of Papua

RECOGNISING:
1.    Political cirses in West Papua at the moment.
2. Activities of the Indonesian army and police that
continuously provoke, intimidate, terrorise and murder
West Papua people to block the aspiration for
resolving the political status of West Papua within
Indonesia by revisiting the Act of Free Choice, 1969.
3. The need to draw a clear line of struggle to
channel the peoples aspiration for a democratic and
peaceful self-determination process.
4. That the Presidium Council of Papua clearly sets
aside the peoples aspiration for self-determination,
but focusing more on the vested interests of small
groups and individuals in West Papua.
5. The conspiracy between foreign investors such as
Freeport McMoRan and members of Presidium Council of
Papua such as the one signed on 13th Juli, 2000 in New
Orleans, the states.
6. The peoples decision on the Papua National
Congress II, 2000 that the issue of West Papua should
go International and it should become an international
issue.

ASSESSING:
1. There is a need to take accountability for the
sacrifices of resources, energy, time, and even blood
for the sake of West Papua self-determination.
2. There is a need to channel the aspiration of the
People that was openly declared on the Papua National
Congress II, 2000.
3. There is an urgency to respond to the critalisation
of the peoples demand for a self-determination this
year.
4. There is a suspicion that Presidium Council of
Papua mediated by FORERI is now deviating its role and
activities from its early mission. People are getting
worried that the Council is doing its best for the
people in West Papua.
5. There are some indications that the Council is a
tool of the Indonesian government to make the
aspiration of the people for a democratic
self-determination as a local issue, not an
international one.
6. Our reliable sources confirmed that Indonesia and
its army are trying to move guerrilla fighters of the
Free Papua Movement (OPM) into West Papua villages,
including the political refugees who now live in Papua
New Guinea.

HEREBY WE DECLARE TO THE WORLD:

1. That from now on, at 11.20, date August 30th, 2000,
the office of both the Presidium Council and FORERI
are closed from its activities.
2. That the leaderships of the Council and FORERI must
take a clear stand on the political agenda of West
Papua people by setting aside the issue of investment
in this land because West Papua was given away to
Indonesia on the name of investors and investment in
1969.
3. That the Council and FORERI Leaders must go to the
Commander in Chief of the TPN/OPM to report the
progress of their diplomacy and international lobbies
because people are being killed day and night by
Indonesia until today.
4. That if the Council and FORERI leaders do not
respond to these demands then we will take over the
leadership of diplomacy and lobby at international
level to channel the voice of the people for a
democratic self-determination.
5. Whoever opens the offices before the Council and
FORERI responsible for their conducts will face high
risks and will be accountable for the people of West
Papua.

THIS STATEMENT IS APPROVDED BY ALL TRADITIONAL LEADERS
OF PEOPLE IN WEST PAPUA AND MADE KNOWN TO THE WORLD.

Spokesperson for NEMANGKAWI Regional Commander in the
Central Highlands
On Behalf of the Commander in Chief of the TPN/OPM
West Papua

Linde B. Kogoya

Copies to:
1. All Regional Commanders of the TPN/OPM,
2. Co-ordinator of the TPN/OPM for internal affairs,
3. Chairman of the ex-Prisoners of the OPM/TPN,
4. The Penis Gourds Peoples Assembly Council
5. Chairman of the AMP International and The West
Papuan Community
6. Chairman of the Papua National Front,
7. Members of Presidium Council,
8. Chairpersons of the Papua Panel,
9. Commanders of the Satgas Papua
10. West Papuan Womens Alliance
11. Chairman of West Papua Youth Fellowship
12. Dr. Otto Ondowame in Australia,
13. Mr. Jacob Prai in Sweden
14. Members of Parliament in the United Kingdom
15. Members of Congress in the United States

Brendan Murphy
Web: http://www.eboli.demon.co.uk
Email: [log in to unmask]