C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 00:31:03 -0500
I understand that this was supposed to be inspirational.  And I have a
lot of respect for Jennifer's accomplishments... but this quote just
bothered me:

"Once, she was so far down, she was in a wheelchair," Carter said.
Carter prodded her daughter to fight the disease. "I said, 'If you sit
in that, you're never going to get back up.'

Why does everyone consider being in a wheelchair to be the worst case
scenario?  Why should she have to struggle and be out of breath every
day at school?  There are so many ways to make life easier and more
enjoyable... It frustrates me that the media continues to portray life
in a wheelchair as a death sentence or worse.

~Joy~
http://www.geocities.com/joy0823
Last Movie Seen:  "Dead Man Walking" - 5 out of 5 stars
Current Book:  "Billy Straight" by Jonathan Kellerman