C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elaine Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 08:50:46 EDT
In a message dated 6/7/2000 7:32:38 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< What is Briana's problem with reading?

When Briana was in Kindergarten, I was extremely ignorant with regard to the
school system, I was trusting, figuring that they are the professionals, and
they wouldn't do anything to adversely effect my children and I still do
believe that they are trying to help, but, it seems that they would rather
play it safe, instead of pushing a little.

That said, when Bri was going from Kinder to 1st, her contained Kinder
teacher suggested that she move into 1st, but keep her in a kinder reading
(mainstreamed) because she felt that she needed more work on her letter
sounds.  So this is the reason she is a year behind in reading.

Little did I know that be keeping her in a lower level reading class would
affect her being mainstreamed in other areas.  For example, Briana couldn't
go into a mainstream math class this year because 2nd grade math is the same
time as 1st grade ILA (reading).

When she was younger, I didn't know what all the test scores meant.  At age 4
1/2, she scored average or high average on Memory for Sentences (High
Average), Incomplete Words (Average), Visual Closure (Low Average), Picture
Vocabulary (Average) and Listening Comprehension (High Average), Letter-Word
Identification (High Average) and Applied Problems (Average).  All this was
based on the Woodcock-Johnson Psycho-Educational Battery Test.

If I move her into 3rd grade and keep her on a 2nd grade reading class, I run
into the same problem of scheduling conflicts (3rd grade math is the same
time as 2nd grade reading), so that would mean another year of contained
classes.

I'm hoping to have a meeting today with her teacher to get her exact
reasoning on keeping Briana back.

Elaine