C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joanne Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 11:03:36 -0400
My boyfriend, who has Spina Bifida, not CP is COMPLETELY incontinent. He
wears Depends, and self-caths 4-5 times a day (external catheter) We've
actually been discussing surgery a little bit because he's had several
REALLY bad kidney infections, and is having some unexplained bouts of
diarreah, which gets so bad he ends up hospitalized a couple of hours from
dehydration.  I have a friend or two that have C.P. and are incontinent
sometimes, and they wear the diaper and the plastic pants, same as you.

Dan (my boyfriend) isn't big on the plastic pants unless it's an emergency
or he's having a bad day. He also uses crutches sometimes, and wheelchair
other times.

I'm interested in what everyone has to say, since Dan and I are trying to
weigh our options right now, he's VERY opposed to surgery, but it might
come down to that.

Joanne