BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Go preserve a yurt, why don'tcha.
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 08:55:05 EST
In a message dated 11/1/2000 4:28:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Department store is in Sydney, Australia.  It is the second of two flagship
>  stores for a company called David Jones.

Oooooo... Thanks so much for the extra information, david! Having spent a
year in Sydney (well, Eastern Shore) as a HS exchange student, I am sure that
I must have played hookey at some point on the escalator at David Jones. And
the window story is really interesting (among other things, of course).

One of my earliest studies of the department store type was the Hahne & Co.
branch store here in my hometown (1951). It has louvered and rather
sculptural aluminum awnings over some of the display windows that was said at
the time to be quite unusual. It also had an escalator -- reportedly the
first by Otis -- color-coordinated to match the interior (pastel green). That
building has now been vacant for 10 years or so and is supposedly being
adapted for multi-use -- offices, health club, retail, and whatever else they
can get. I think the escalator here is being (or has been) trashed as well.
Nobody liked the color, I guess.

Thanks again, david. I will save your info in my store files for future
reference and look forward to the pics.

Mary