BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks." -- Mary D
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:31:28 EDT
In a message dated 8/2/2000 9:46:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> 1.  Mary, have you actually seen this "row"?

No. And neither have I seen any testimony before the Landmarks Commission
concerning its significance or integrity or the neighborhood context ... all
due August 8. I suspect that these are issues that the LPC would consider.
Without looking at the whole presentation of history and significance, how
can anyone make a judgement?

>  2.  The matter at hand is not a master plan for Greenwich Village, but the
>  proposed individual Landmark designation of a single building.  Do you
>  advocate using individual Landmark designation to "master plan" an area?

The matter before the LPC may not be a master plan, but maybe it is the
preservation of an culturally (although not perhaps architecturally)
significant building that may anchor an historic district (with cultural,
architectural, or other significance).  Isn't this the problem they faced
with the Dvorak (sp?) House a few years ago?

Doesn't NYC have a historic preservation element in its Master Plan?

Julip